Abhay Andar, is an Assistant Research Scientist, Faculty, at the Center for Advanced Sensor Technologies. He is an experienced interdisciplinary scientist who works well in challenging environments. Focused on developing novel scientific technologies in the field of microfluidics, drug delivery and pharmaco-engineering. Additionally, he is professionally associated with American Association for Pharmaceutical Scientists as a member and reviewer. Currently serves on the faculty grievance committee, on the faculty senate. He actively mentors undergraduate and postgraduate students on campus and serves as a Principal investigator for the Chemical-Biology Interface program.
Education and Training
- Postdoctoral Research – School of Pharmacy, University of Maryland, Baltimore, 2015
- Ph.D. Biomedical Science and Engineering – University of Glasgow, 2010
- M.Res. Biomedical Science and Engineering – University of Glasgow, 2006
- B.Sc. Life Sciences – University of Mumbai, 2004
Research Activities and Memberships
- Member and Reviewer for the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientist (AAPS)
- PI and Student Mentor, for the Chemistry/Biology Interface (CBI) graduate program, University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- Undergraduate Student Mentor with the Shriver Centre, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) (2013 – present)
- Member with the National Postdoc Association (NPA)
- Member of the Controlled Release Society (CRS)
Research Projects and Interests
- Microfluidics – Microfluidic bioreactors for cell-free protein production of biopharmaceuticals
- Microneedles – Dissolvable polymer microneedle-based transdermal drug delivery of proteins and peptides
- Nanoparticles – Surface plasmon coupled enhancement and altering nanoparticle chemistry for on-chip analytics
- Drug Delivery – Small molecule and macromolecular drug delivery for cancer therapy
- Cristina Tiangco, Abhay U. Andar, Juliana Quarterman, Xudong Ge, Fortunato Sevilla, Govind Rao, Audra Stinchcomb, Annette Bunge, Leah Tolosa; (2017); “Measuring transdermal glucose levels in neonates by passive diffusion: an in vitro porcine skin model”; Analytical and bioanalytical chemistry, 409 (13), 3475-3482
- Andar U. Andar, Karan R, Pecher WT, DasSarma P, Hedrich WD, Stinchcomb AL, DasSarma S; (2017); “Microneedle-Assisted Skin Permeation by Non-toxic Bioengineerable Gas Vesicles Nanoparticles” Molecular Pharmaceutics, 14 (3), 953-958
- Shannon J. Heine, Jovita Diaz-McNair, Abhay U. Andar, Cinthia B. Drachenberg, Lillian van de Verg, Richard Walker, Wendy L. Picking, and Marcela F. Pasetti; (2014); “Intradermal Delivery of Shigella IpaB and IpaD Type III Secretion Proteins: Kinetics of Cell Recruitment and Antigen Uptake, Mucosal and Systemic Immunity, and Protection Across Serotypes”. The Journal of Immunology, 192, (4).
- Abhay U. Andar, Renee R. Hood, Wyatt N. Vreeland, Don L. DeVoe, Peter W. Swaan; (2014) “Microfluidic preparation of liposomes to determine particle size influence on cellular uptake mechanisms” Pharmaceutical Research, 31; 410-413.
- Kirchhof K, Andar A, Yin HB, Gadegaard N, Riehle MO, Groth T; (2011), “Polyelectrolyte multilayers generated in a microfluidic device with pH gradients induce directed cell movement”, Lab on a Chip, (11) 19, 3326-3335.
- Abhay Andar and Mathis Riehle; (Aug (2008), Research Highlights- Nanoparticular toxicology: cellular responses. Nanomedicine, 3(4), 411- 414 (evaluation of Stone et al- Nanobioscience 6(4), 330- 340 (2007))
- Matthew J. Dalby, Abhay Andar, Abhijit Nag, Stanley Affrossman,Rahul Tare, Sara McFarlane and Richard O. C. Oreffo; Feb (2008), “Genomic expression of mesenchymal stem cells to altered nanoscale topographies. J. R. Soc. Interface, 5, 1055 – 1065
- Matthew J. Dalby, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Rahul Tare, Abhay Andar, Mathis O. Riehle, Pawel Herzyk, Chris D. W. Wilkinson and Richard O. C. Oreffo; 01 Dec (2007), The control of human mesenchymal cell differentiation using nanoscale symmetry and disorder. Nature materials, Vol 6, 997 – 1003
- Jesus M. de la Fuente, Abhay Andar, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Catherine C. Berry, Peter Kingshott, and Mathis O. Riehle; June (2006), Fluorescent Aromatic Platforms for Cell Patterning. Langmuir, Vol 22 (13), 5528- 5532
- Cristina Tiangco, Abhay Andar , Xudong Ge, Fortunato Sevilla III, Govind Rao, Audra Stinchcomb, Leah Tolosa: (2015): “Progress towards passive transdermal glucose sensing based on a glucose binding protein”, Diabetes Technology Meeting 2015, Bathesda, Maryland, USA
- Abhay U. Andar, Youcheng Liu, David Sterling, Tom Kilinger, Mark Tokarski, Mark Boeniger and Audra Stinchcomb; (2014): “Barrier Cream Formulations to Reduce Skin Permeation of Nicotine as a Preventive Measure against Green Tobacco Sickness”, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, San Diego, USA.
- A. Andar, R. Karan, P. DasSarma, S. DasSarma, and A. Stinchcom; (2014): “Haloarcheal gas vesicle nanoparticles (GVNPs) as vehicles for delivering therapeutic proteins and peptides through microneedle treated skin.” International Microneedles conference, Baltimore, USA.
- A.U. Andar, R.R. Hood, D.L. DeVoe, W.N. Vreeland, P. Shapiro, P.W. Swaan; (2013): “Microfluidic liposomes to targeting hypoxia in tumor progression”, International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Lifesciences (MicroTAS), Germany
- Renee R. Hood, Abhay Andar, Wyatt N. Vreeland, Peter W. Swaan, Don L. DeVoe; (2011): “Microfluidic synthesis and cell uptake studies of pegylated and folate receptor- targeted liposomes”, American Society for Nanomedicine (ASNM)
- Renee R. Hood, Abhay Andar, Wyatt N. Vreeland, Peter W. Swaan, Don L. DeVoe; (2011): “Pharmacy-on-a-Chip: Microfluidic Synthesis of Pegylated and Folate Receptor-Targeted Liposomes for Drug Delivery”, International Conference on Miniaturized System for Chemistry and LifeScience (MicroTAS)
- Renee R. Hood, Abhay Andar, Wyatt N. Vreeland, Peter W. Swaan, Don L. DeVoe; (2011): “Liposomes prepared using microfluidic devices”, American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences (AAPS).
- Abhay Andar, Sher Ahmed, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Melanie Favre, Philippe Neiderman, Martha Liley and Mathis O. Riehle; (2009): “Microfluidic device to test the toxicity of nanoparticles”. Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference (TCES), Glasgow, Scotland, UK. European Cells and Materials Vol. 18. Suppl. 2, (page 44) ISSN 1473-2262
- Sher Ahmed, Abhay Andar, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Melanie Favre, Philippe Neiderman, Martha Liley and Mathis O. Riehle; (2009): “Optimisation of cell culture of Calu-3 conditions on porous silicon nitride membranes”, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference (TCES), Glasgow, Scotland, UK. European Cells and Materials Vol. 18. Suppl. 2, (page 44) ISSN 1473-2262
- Sultan M. Al Sharif, Abhay Andar, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Susan Rosser and Mathis O. Riehle; (2009) “Microfluidics as a tool to study epithelial cell response to Pseudomonas aeruginosa”, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference (TCES), Glasgow, Scotland, UK. European Cells and Materials Vol. 18. Suppl. 2, (page 44) ISSN 1473-2262
- Andar, S. Affrossman, C.D.W. Wilkinson, R. Tare, R.O.C. Oreffo, M.J. Dalby; (2006): “Patterns of Genomic Regulation In Mesenchymal Stem Cells Cultured on Osteogenic Nanotopographies”, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference, Sheffield, UK.
- A. Andar, N. Gadegaard, M. O. Riehle and J. de laFuente; (2006): “Effect of fluorescent micropatterned selfassembled monolayers on cell behavior”, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference, London, UK