Govind Rao is Professor of Chemical & Biochemical Engineering and Director of the Center for Advanced Sensor Technology at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. He obtained his Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. His Ph.D. degree was from Drexel University in Chemical Engineering. He has been a faculty member at UMBC since 1987.
Title: Professor, UMBC and Director, CAST
- Presidential Young Investigator – National Science Foundation, 1991-1996
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering – Drexel University, 1987
- B.S. Chemical Engineering – IIT (Madras), 1984
- Director, Center for Advanced Sensor Technology, UMBC (2004)-Present
- Chair, Department of Chemical & Biochemical Engineering, UMBC (2000-2006)
- Assistant/Associate/Professor, Department of Chemical & (1987)-Present
- Biochemical Engineering, UMBC and Medical Biotech. Ctr. Univ. MD Biotech. Inst.
- Editorial Board Member- J. of Industrial Microbiology, Biotechnology Letters.(1995-2000)
- Associate Editor, Biotechnol. Bioeng (2005)
- Chair, Division of Biotechnology, American Chemical Society. (1998)
Awards and memberships
- National Talent Scholar, Government of India. (1977-84)
- Outstanding Teaching Award, UMBC College of Engineering. (1989)
- Outstanding Research Award, UMBC College of Engineering.(1991)
- Presidential Young Investigator, National Science Foundation. (1991)
- Elected Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. (1999)
- Van Lanen Award for Distinguished Service, BIOT, American Chemical Society. (2000)
- Gaden Award for Most Influential Paper published in Biotechnol. Bioeng. in 2001. (2002)
- University System of Maryland Regents’ Faculty Award for Excellence in Research.(2003)
- Named 2003 Innovator of the Year Finalist by the Maryland Daily Record. (2003)
- FDA Leveraging/Collaboration Award for Optical Sensor-based Parallel Bioreactor (2007)
- Elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2007)
- S.J. Coppella and Govind Rao. Practical Considerations in the Measurement of Culture Fluorescence. Biotechnol. Prog. 1990. 6:398-401.
- Shabbir Bambot, Raja Holavanahali, Joseph Lakowicz, Gary Carter and Govind Rao. Phase Fluorometric Sterilizable Optical Oxygen Sensor. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 1994. 43:1139-1145.
- Shabbir Bambot, Jeffrey Sipior, Joseph Lakowicz and Govind Rao. Lifetime-Based Optical Sensing of pH Using Resonance Energy Transfer in Sol-Gel Sensors. Sensors and Actuators B (Chemical). 1995. 22:181-188.
- Jeffrey Sipior, Shabbir Bambot, Romauld M., Gary Carter, Joseph Lakowicz and Govind Rao. A Lifetime-Based Optical CO2 Gas Sensor with Blue or Red Excitation and Stokes or Anti-Stokes Detection. Anal. Biochem. 1995. 227:309-318.
- Lisa Randers-Eichhorn, C. Renee Albano, Jeffrey Sipior, William E. Bentley and Govind Rao. On-Line Green Fluorescent Protein Sensor with LED Excitation. 1997. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 55:921-926.
- Ananya Sen, K. Kesava Rao, M. A. Frizzell and Govind Rao. A Low-Cost Device for the Estimation of Fluoride in Drinking Water. Field Analyt. Chem. Technol. 1998. 2:51-58.
- Chang, Q., Randers-Eichhorn, L., Lakowicz, J. R., and Rao, G. A steam sterilizable fluorescence lifetime-based sensor for dissolved carbon dioxide. 1998. Biotechnology Progress. 14: 326-331
- Clark, H. R., T. A. Barbari and Govind Rao. Modeling the Response Time of an In Vivo Glucose Affinity Sensor. 1999. Biotechnology Progress 15:259-266.
- Yordan Kostov, Kelly A. Van Houten, Peter Harms, Robert S. Pilato, Govind Rao. A Unique Oxygen Analyzer Combining a Dual Emission Probe and a Low-Cost Solid-State Ratiometric Fluorometer. 2000. Appl. Spectroscopy. 54:864-868.
- Haley Kermis, Yordan Kostov, Peter Harms and Govind Rao. Dual Excitation Ratiometric Fluorescent pH Sensor for Non-invasive Bioprocessing: Development and Application. 2002. 18:1047-1053. Biotech. Prog.
- Ge, X., Yordan Kostov and Govind Rao. High-Stability Non-Invasive Autoclavable Naked Optical CO2 Sensor. 2003. Biosensors and Bioelectronics. 18:857-865.
- Kermis, H.R., Kostov, Y., Rao, G. Rapid method for the preparation of a robust optical pH sensor. 2003. Analyst. 128: 1181-1186.
- Xudong Ge, Yordan Kostov and Govind Rao. Low-cost noninvasive CO2 sensing system for fermentation and cell culture. 2005. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 89:329-334.
- Ge X, Hanson M, Shen H, Kostov Y, Brorson KA, Frey DD, Moreira AR, Rao G. Validation of an optical sensor-based high-throughput bioreactor system for mammalian cell culture. J Biotechnol. 2006. 122: 293-306.
- Michael A. Hanson, Xudong Ge, Yordan Kostov, Kurt A. Brorson, Antonio R. Moreira, Govind Rao Comparisons of optical pH and Dissolved Oxygen sensors with traditional electrochemical probes during mammalian cell culture. 2007. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 97: 833-41.