Abhay Andar, is an Assistant Research Scientist, Faculty, at the Center for Advanced Sensor Technologies. He is an experienced interdisciplinary scientist who works well in challenging environments. Focused on developing novel scientific technologies in the field of microfluidics, drug delivery and pharmaco-engineering. Additionally, he is professionally associated with American Association for Pharmaceutical Scientists and the American Chemical Society as a member and reviewer. Currently serves on the faculty grievance committee, on the faculty senate. He actively mentors undergraduate and postgraduate students on campus and serves as a Principal investigator for the Chemical-Biology Interface program.
Title: Research Faculty
Education and Training
- Postdoctoral Research – School of Pharmacy, University of Maryland, Baltimore, 2015
- Ph.D. Biomedical Science and Engineering – University of Glasgow, 2010
- M.Res. Biomedical Science and Engineering – University of Glasgow, 2006
- B.Sc. Life Sciences – University of Mumbai, 2004
Research Activities and Memberships
- Member and Reviewer for the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientist (AAPS)
- PI and Student Mentor, for the Chemistry/Biology Interface (CBI) graduate program, University of Maryland, Baltimore County.
- Undergraduate Student Mentor with the Shriver Centre, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) (2013 – present)
- Member of the American Chemical Society (ACS)
Research Projects and Interests
- Microneedle-based transdermal drug delivery of proteins and peptides
- Design and fabrication of polymer microneedles
- Dermal sensors
- Surface plasmon coupled enhancement and altering nanoparticle chemistry for on-chip analytics
- Nanoparticle synthesis for sensor technologies
- Abhay Andar, Md-Saddique Hassan, Venkatesh Srinivasan, Mustafa Al-Adhami, Erick Gutierrez, et al. (2019); “Wood Microfluidics” Analytical Chemistry, Aug 19th, doi: 10.1021/acs.analchem.9b01232.
- Abhay Andar, Sevda Deldari, Erick Guitierrez, David Burgenson, Mustafa Al-Adhami, Chandrasekhar Gurumkonda, Leah Tolosa, Yordan Kostov, Douglas D. Frey, Govind Rao; (2019); “Low-cost, versatile, and customizable microscale toolkit for rapid screening and purification of therapeutic grade proteins.” Journal of Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 116 (4), 870-881.
- Venkatesh Srinivasan, Abhay Andar, Yordan Kostov, Govind Rao; (2019); “Spacer and cavity engineering on low-cost plastic substrates for 100-fold enhancement in metal-dielectric-metal-based directional fluorescence emission.” Plasmonics, 14 (3), 731 – 736. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11468-018-0851-y, 1-6.
- Rajani Adiga, Mustafa Al-adhami, Abhay Andar et al. (2018); “Biological Medicines on Demand: A platform for therapeutic cGMP protein manufacturing at the point-of-care.” Nature Biomedical Engineering, 2 (9), 675.
- David Burgenson, Chandrasekhar Gurramkonda, Manohar Pilli, Xudong Ge, Abhay Andar et al. (2018); “Rapid recombinant protein expression in cell-free extracts from human blood.” Scientific Reports 8, Article number 9569.
- Cristina Tiangco, Abhay U. Andar, Fortunato Sevilla, Govind Rao, Leah Tolosa; (2017); “Transdermal Glucose Monitoring Using Glucose Binding Protein-Based Fiber Optic Biosensor Coupled with Microneedles.” Sensors & Transducers 28, 2-6.
- Cristina Tiangco, Abhay U. Andar, Juliana Quarterman, Xudong Ge, Fortunato Sevilla, Govind Rao, Audra Stinchcomb, Annette Bunge, Leah Tolosa; (2017); “Measuring transdermal glucose levels in neonates by passive diffusion: an in vitro porcine skin model”; Analytical and bioanalytical chemistry, 409 (13), 3475-3482
- Andar U. Andar, Karan R, Pecher WT, DasSarma P, Hedrich WD, Stinchcomb AL, DasSarma S; (2017); “Microneedle-Assisted Skin Permeation by Non-toxic Bioengineerable Gas Vesicles Nanoparticles” Molecular Pharmaceutics, 14 (3), 953-958
- Shannon J. Heine, Jovita Diaz-McNair, Abhay U. Andar, Cinthia B. Drachenberg, Lillian van de Verg, Richard Walker, Wendy L. Picking, and Marcela F. Pasetti; (2014); “Intradermal Delivery of Shigella IpaB and IpaD Type III Secretion Proteins: Kinetics of Cell Recruitment and Antigen Uptake, Mucosal and Systemic Immunity, and Protection Across Serotypes”. The Journal of Immunology, 192, (4).
- Abhay U. Andar, Renee R. Hood, Wyatt N. Vreeland, Don L. DeVoe, Peter W. Swaan; (2014) “Microfluidic preparation of liposomes to determine particle size influence on cellular uptake mechanisms” Pharmaceutical Research, 31; 410-413.
- Kirchhof K, Andar A, Yin HB, Gadegaard N, Riehle MO, Groth T; (2011), “Polyelectrolyte multilayers generated in a microfluidic device with pH gradients induce directed cell movement”, Lab on a Chip, (11) 19, 3326-3335.
- Abhay Andar and Mathis Riehle; (Aug (2008), Research Highlights- Nanoparticular toxicology: cellular responses. Nanomedicine, 3(4), 411- 414 (evaluation of Stone et al- Nanobioscience 6(4), 330- 340 (2007))
- Matthew J. Dalby, Abhay Andar, Abhijit Nag, Stanley Affrossman,Rahul Tare, Sara McFarlane and Richard O. C. Oreffo; Feb (2008), “Genomic expression of mesenchymal stem cells to altered nanoscale topographies. J. R. Soc. Interface, 5, 1055 – 1065
- Matthew J. Dalby, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Rahul Tare, Abhay Andar, Mathis O. Riehle, Pawel Herzyk, Chris D. W. Wilkinson and Richard O. C. Oreffo; 01 Dec (2007), The control of human mesenchymal cell differentiation using nanoscale symmetry and disorder. Nature materials, Vol 6, 997 – 1003
- Jesus M. de la Fuente, Abhay Andar, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Catherine C. Berry, Peter Kingshott, and Mathis O. Riehle; June (2006), Fluorescent Aromatic Platforms for Cell Patterning. Langmuir, Vol 22 (13), 5528- 5532
- Abhay Andar et al; (2019); “Honey, I Shrunk the biologics manufacturing facility.” American Chemical Society, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Abhay Andar et al; (2019); “Wood microfluidic devices for Point-of-care applications.” American Chemical Society, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- Cristina Tiangco, Abhay Andar , Xudong Ge, Fortunato Sevilla III, Govind Rao, Audra Stinchcomb, Leah Tolosa: (2015): “Progress towards passive transdermal glucose sensing based on a glucose binding protein”, Diabetes Technology Meeting 2015, Bathesda, Maryland, USA
- Abhay U. Andar, Youcheng Liu, David Sterling, Tom Kilinger, Mark Tokarski, Mark Boeniger and Audra Stinchcomb; (2014): “Barrier Cream Formulations to Reduce Skin Permeation of Nicotine as a Preventive Measure against Green Tobacco Sickness”, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, San Diego, USA.
- Abhay Andar, R. Karan, P. DasSarma, S. DasSarma, and A. Stinchcom; (2014): “Haloarcheal gas vesicle nanoparticles (GVNPs) as vehicles for delivering therapeutic proteins and peptides through microneedle treated skin.” International Microneedles conference, Baltimore, USA.
- Abhay U. Andar, R.R. Hood, D.L. DeVoe, W.N. Vreeland, P. Shapiro, P.W. Swaan; (2013): “Microfluidic liposomes to targeting hypoxia in tumor progression”, International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Lifesciences (MicroTAS), Germany
- Renee R. Hood, Abhay Andar, Wyatt N. Vreeland, Peter W. Swaan, Don L. DeVoe; (2011): “Microfluidic synthesis and cell uptake studies of pegylated and folate receptor- targeted liposomes”, American Society for Nanomedicine (ASNM)
- Renee R. Hood, Abhay Andar, Wyatt N. Vreeland, Peter W. Swaan, Don L. DeVoe; (2011): “Pharmacy-on-a-Chip: Microfluidic Synthesis of Pegylated and Folate Receptor-Targeted Liposomes for Drug Delivery”, International Conference on Miniaturized System for Chemistry and LifeScience (MicroTAS)
- Renee R. Hood, Abhay Andar, Wyatt N. Vreeland, Peter W. Swaan, Don L. DeVoe; (2011): “Liposomes prepared using microfluidic devices”, American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences (AAPS).
- Abhay Andar, Sher Ahmed, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Melanie Favre, Philippe Neiderman, Martha Liley and Mathis O. Riehle; (2009): “Microfluidic device to test the toxicity of nanoparticles”. Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference (TCES), Glasgow, Scotland, UK. European Cells and Materials Vol. 18. Suppl. 2, (page 44) ISSN 1473-2262
- Sher Ahmed, Abhay Andar, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Melanie Favre, Philippe Neiderman, Martha Liley and Mathis O. Riehle; (2009): “Optimisation of cell culture of Calu-3 conditions on porous silicon nitride membranes”, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference (TCES), Glasgow, Scotland, UK. European Cells and Materials Vol. 18. Suppl. 2, (page 44) ISSN 1473-2262
- Sultan M. Al Sharif, Abhay Andar, Nikolaj Gadegaard, Susan Rosser and Mathis O. Riehle; (2009) “Microfluidics as a tool to study epithelial cell response to Pseudomonas aeruginosa”, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference (TCES), Glasgow, Scotland, UK. European Cells and Materials Vol. 18. Suppl. 2, (page 44) ISSN 1473-2262
- Abhay Andar, S. Affrossman, C.D.W. Wilkinson, R. Tare, R.O.C. Oreffo, M.J. Dalby; (2006): “Patterns of Genomic Regulation In Mesenchymal Stem Cells Cultured on Osteogenic Nanotopographies”, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference, Sheffield, UK.
- Abhay Andar, N. Gadegaard, M. O. Riehle and J. de laFuente; (2006): “Effect of fluorescent micropatterned selfassembled monolayers on cell behavior”, Tissue and Cell Engineering Society conference, London, UK